Sign up for my newsletter to see interviews with the biggest names in cybersecurity.
Unfortunately no guest this week, but once again there’s plenty of public and private cybersecurity activity. Hope everyone has an awesome time at Black Hat and thanks for reading!
Cylance Raises $42 Million from DFJ Growth
- The company provides a next-gen endpoint protection platform that uses artificial intelligence–not signatures, heuristics or sandboxing–to determine what’s good from what’s bad. Cylance CEO Stuart McClure was my first ever interviewee for the newsletter.
- Perspecsys is a cloud access security broker and Blue Coat’s acquisition follows Microsoft’s acquisition of CASB Adallom for over $300M several weeks ago. Referring to the CASB space, Blue Coat’s COO Michael Fey said “Blue Coat basically just sent a shot across the bow to startups that we plan on owning this space.” (Also see my interview with Tsahy Shapsa, cofounder of the CASB CloudLock).
TPG Leads $100M Round in Zscaler
- EMC and Lightspeed also joined the round which is “whispered” to value the company at over $2 billion. Zscaler is one of the smaller players Secure Web Gateway space, which includes massive companies such as Websense, Blue Coat and Cisco. Secure Web Gateways protect individuals that are using the internet from being infected through their browsers. Zscaler is one of the few (if not the only) SWGs that has a pure SaaS business model.
Accel’s Sameer Gandhi on why he Invested in CrowdStrike
- Gandhi cites the trend towards endpoint over network protection, CrowdStrike’s real-time detection, their powerful machine-learning anomaly detection and their ability to be rapidly deployed as reasons for his investment.
FireEye’s Impressive 2nd Quarter
- The firm beat Wall Street expectations on billings, revenue and earnings, as did Juniper Networks and CheckPoint Software.